The Wizard explains an unusual cause of a dryer related fire that occurred when the the dryer was not even plugged in!
New London, CT — Dryer vent cleaning is the best way to prevent a dryer fire; however, failure to clean the dryer vent was not the cause of one unusual fire. The dryer was not even plugged in! This is a new one for the New London Dryer Vent Cleaning Wizard to add to his list of warnings when he talks to his customers about dryer fire prevention.
Firefighters were extremely busy as they responded to 33 calls on a Saturday following a severe storm. Some of the fires were caused by lightening strikes; others were simply false alarms triggered by the storm.
The most unusual of fires was a dryer fire at a day spa. The dryer was not operating at the time; in fact, it wasn’t even plugged in. The dryer was full of sheets and towels soaked in organic essential oils that spontaneously combusted. The oils decomposed, releasing heat, which was increased by the dampness and weight of the linens.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire which was contained to the dryer; however, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide had been released and filled the basement. Without any windows to ventilate the fumes, firefighters spent two hours directing the contaminated air up a stairway and out through the first floor.
Don Brusseau, owner of Dryer Vent Wizard (http://newlondon.dryerventcleaningnow.com/), thought he had heard it all until now. This was an unusual dryer fire, because the dryer wasn’t even plugged in. Brusseau advises his customers to be very careful of what they put in the dryer because any flammable or combustible substances can ignite from the heat in the dryer. Even if they have been washed, residue can be left behind. These items should be line-dried for safety.
Dryer Vent Wizard specializes in dryer vent systems and dryer exhaust issues. Dryer vents are all they do so they are the experts to trust. The Wizard provides Dryer Vent Cleaning, repair and installation for homes and businesses, condos and apartments, public laundries and pet shelters…anyone with a clothes dryer. Visit www.dryerventcleaningnewlondon.blogspot.com/ to learn more.
About Dryer Vent Wizard:
Dryer Vent Wizard is a member of the National Fire Protection Association and the largest chain of dryer vent cleaning, repair, replacement and alternation specialists in the U.S. with over 60 franchisees in major markets. Dryer Vent Wizard franchisees work to promote public awareness on the importance of dryer vent cleaning to prevent dryer fires and save energy. Consumer education while making clothes dryers safer and greener are the main focus of DVW franchisees. Dryer Vent Wizard was founded in 2004 by Dave Lavalle who is also the founder of the Mr. Handyman franchise.